This is perfectly understandable as it is not something that people often think about. However, in order for me (and any other website developer for that matter) to be able to provide a realistic timescale and costs for a project, we do need a bit more guidance from the client to start with.
So here is a list of things to consider, when you approach a new website designer or developer to ask for a quote.
- Tell them if you have an existing website that needs updating or are starting from scratch and provide a website address if relevant. Explain what you like and don’t like about the existing site.
- Will you require a content management website that you can edit yourself? Google likes regularly updated content and it keeps the website fresh and up-to-date. Are you able to provide the text and images required or will you need some help with that? Or do you just need a start-up website?
- It helps to provide a brief introduction to your company or services. How long have you been trading, what does your company do, what products do you sell.
- Who is your market? Describe a typical customer – what age, what lifestyle, where they live.
- Who are your competitors? Always helpful to provide a few links to their websites.
- What websites do you want your website to be like. THIS IS VERY HELPFUL! I never copy websites but it is a great indication of the style of website a client is after. Providing 2-3 websites and details about what you like and don’t like about each is great.
- What do you want the website to do? For example…do you need a news section, a contact form, a gallery or home page slider for visual impact. Will you need to sell products online? Will you need to link to social media? Perhaps you need a members login area? All these areas can increase costs and so its important to be aware of them from the outset.
- Will you need any additional services eg SEO, copywriting or hosting or emails?
Here is my website brief document that you can download which covers all of the above and more.
If you can be prepared when you request a quote then the response from the developer will be more accurate and helpful to you.
If you’d like me to quote for a free non-obligation quote then contact me here!